Hello, 500 Building Families!
It is hard to believe that we are already into February, but time sure does fly around here. While our transition back from Winter Break was staggered at best (due to winter weather), our staff and students have worked hard to get back into the swing of things.
Teachers have been collaboratively scoring open-ended response questions from our second benchmark assessment. To help better plan upcoming lessons and EER time for their students, teachers are analyzing data from the multiple choice sections of the assessment. Teachers and students should be proud, as we are seeing growth in both Math and English Language Arts across both grade levels from our first benchmark to our second. The third benchmark will not take place until after PSSA season.
On Friday, February 9, 2018 our students participated in a Hoops for Heart basketball tournament. Students signed up in teams of five, and cycled through a tourney style competition. Students who did not want to play in the tournament were given the opportunity to cheer for their friends from our new bleachers. Funds raised will be donated to the American Heart Association.
In other news, our STEAM Trebuchet/Catapult Challenge is wrapping up. Parent volunteers have been requested to help us judge the three different categories of the challenge. Student groups have entered their projects into one of these three categories, and have tested their projects multiple times in the hopes of perfecting their designs. The final challenge will take place on Thursday, February 15, 2018. We look forward to sharing the results of the challenge in the near future.
We are eager to highlight a few upcoming 500 Building events and activities:
- Our next Coffee Chat is on February 21, 2018 from 9:00-10:00. Please contact Mrs. Pearson at firstname.lastname@example.org to book your seat for this Coffee Chat.
- On February 15, 2018, students will complete our first STEAM Activity, “The Trebuchet Challenge”. Students will be showing off their final products and many will be competing in either a distance, accuracy or design competition that morning as well. That afternoon, the entire building will compete in our second Cougar Games of 2017-2018.
- Friday, February 16, 2018 will be a full day professional development session for teachers. Students will not report to school this day.
- The 500 Building-Wide “Winter Door Decorating Contest” has come to an end. Congratulations to Mrs. Davis’ 5th grade class who won a pretzel party for their awesome winter door!
- Be on the lookout for our limited edition, student-created ROAR T-shirt. Students spent time over the first trimester designing T-shirts that show what ROAR at CCS means to them.
- Students are currently creating 500 ROAR songs in music classes with Ms. Urbas. Much like the T-shirt contest, songs will be presented to the student body and voted on to identify the “500 ROAR Song of the Year!”
To make sure you are truly staying up-to-date, please keep checking the CCS Family Calendar, as well as reading the CCS Newsletter. Thank you all for your commitment to Collegium and your support of our 500 Building.
Your Partners in Education,
Grades 5 & 6
500 James Hance Court
Exton, PA 19341
Phone: 610-903-1300, ext. 6106
Office Hours: 7:30am to 6pm
Academic Day: 8:15am to 3:45pm
Summer Hours: Monday-Thursday 8:00am to 4:00pm
Uniform Resale Shop: The CCS Uniform Resale Shop, located in the 500 Building, is open from 9am-3pm and from 4:00-6pm on school days and from 9am-3pm, Monday–Thursday during summer break.