Hello and Happy Holidays, 500 Building Families!
As we look forward to the New Year, it is also a great time to look back and reflect on the first third of the school year in order to successfully plan ahead. By the end of 2017, all students will have completed their second benchmark test in math and ELA. Data from those assessments will be analyzed and used to help teachers tailor their instruction to our students’ areas of strength and need.
While continuing to visit classrooms, Mrs. Rothermel and I are excited to see the evolution of flexible grouping and differentiation throughout our building. Flexible grouping is a form of day-to-day classroom differentiation, allowing teachers to strategically plan instruction based on students’ individual needs, student data on specific skills, interests, and learning profiles. Teacher instruction is then delivered through the use of whole-group, small-group, and one-on-one learning opportunities.
Mrs. Rothermel and I thank all of the parents and guardians who attended parent/teacher conferences in November. The communication between home and school is a critical component to student success, and we appreciate the efforts many of you made to adjust your schedules in order to attend conferences. Even though conferences are over, please do not hesitate to reach out to your child’s teachers if you ever feel as though another conference is necessary.
Last week, we enjoyed two hugely successful events in our 500 Building. Day 1 of our STEAM Trebuchet Challenge went very well. As I circulated the building and visited STEAM groups, I was amazed by the high level of student engagement, creativity, and application of science and math concepts. We are looking forward to Day 2 of this event on December 15, 2017. We also had a ROAR assembly where we continued developing a growth mindset while celebrating some of the outstanding student behaviors observed throughout the first few months of school. During our assembly, we announced the selection of our four ROAR Ambassadors. Idris N., Elliot F., Aubrey S., and Bri D. were selected by our students to represent the 500 Building students on our ROAR committee. These students are thought highly of by their peers, and they consistently display ROAR behaviors in the 500 Building.
We also want to send a special “shout out” to Andrew F. from Mrs. Shappell’s 6th grade class. Andrew is the 2017-2018 CCS Spelling Bee Champion! Great job Andrew, and all the other student participants in this year’s spelling bee. We are very proud of each of you!
We are eager to highlight a few upcoming 500 Building events and activities:
- Our next Coffee Chat is on January 17, 2018, from 2:30-3:30. Please contact Mrs. Pearson at firstname.lastname@example.org to book your seat for our Coffee Chat.
- Benchmark Growth Challenge
1. This challenge is in place to motivate effort on Benchmark 2.
2. Incentives are in place for homerooms that show growth of 10% or more in Math and ELA.
3. We also have overall grade level incentives in place for the homerooms with the greatest overall growth.
- On December 15, 2017, students will participate in Day 2 of our STEAM Activity, “The Trebuchet Challenge.” Students will be building and refining designs during this two-hour block.
- The 500 Building “Winter Door Decorating Contest” will take place over the next few months. Students will be decorating their classroom doors to promote classroom community and teamwork.
- Our National Elementary Honor Society will be participating in “Operation Lifting Spirits” on December 13, 2017. NEHS Students will visit a local retirement home to provide community service and to help “lift spirits” for the holiday season
- Be on the lookout for our limited edition student created ROAR T-shirts. Students spent time over the first-trimester designing T-shirts competition will end and T-shirts will be printed for new year
- When we return from Winter Break, we will be creating 500 ROAR songs in music classes. Much like the T-shirt contest, songs will be presented to our students and voted on to identify the “500 ROAR Song of the Year!”
To make sure you are truly staying up-to-date, please keep checking the CCS Family Calendar, as well as reading the CCS Newsletter. Thank you all for your commitment to Collegium and your support of our 500 Building.
Your Partners in Education,
Grades 5 & 6
500 James Hance Court
Exton, PA 19341
Phone: 610-903-1300, ext. 6106
Office Hours: 7:30am to 6pm
Academic Day: 8:15am to 3:45pm
Summer Hours: Monday-Thursday 8:00am to 4:00pm
Uniform Resale Shop: The CCS Uniform Resale Shop, located in the 500 Building, is open from 9am-3pm and from 4:00-6pm on school days and from 9am-3pm, Monday–Thursday during summer break.