Parents’ active participation at Collegium Charter School (CCS) communicates to children the value placed on education. CCS asks each CCS parent to perform the equivalent of two hours of service per month. These hours may be performed each month or can be “banked” when a single volunteer opportunity exceeds two hours. Service time can be fulfilled year round – not just during the school year.
CCS expects participation from all parents in maintaining facilities, providing services and raising funds. With the involvement of all parents, CCS is able to save thousands of dollars that allows CCS to spend money on your children’s education. There are many opportunities to volunteer at CCS. Families should check the weekly CCS Newsletter or Home and School Association page of this website for opportunities, or contact your child’s teachers or the class homeroom parent for more volunteer opportunities.
Volunteers must have a PA Child Abuse Clearance, a PA Criminal Record Check, and an FBI Fingerprint Clearance on file with the school. These background checks are processed by departments of the state of PA/vendors and can take up to 2-3 weeks to be returned to you. CCS suggests that parents who anticipate volunteering submit these required items in the very beginning of the school year or in the summer preceding the school year. Volunteers do not have to request a paper copy of the FBI background check. Instead, once fingerprinting has been completed, email your Registration ID number to email@example.com.
A volunteer in the following capacities must have all three background checks on file:
- Chaperoning field trips.
- Homeroom parents.
- Assisting or working in the school at any time during the school day.
- Assisting or working on behalf of the school during an event outside of the school day in which the volunteer would come in contact with students.
- Driving a team/group to an activity. Driving requires an additional check, a driving record check, to be completed by CCS.
- Chaperoning any school event.
Background checks are not needed for:
- Attending a classroom presentation or party.
- Attending a school-sponsored event.
- Attending a meeting at school.
- Presenting, as a guest speaker, to a group of students when accompanied and supervised by a CCS employee.
A volunteer’s background checks are accepted and considered valid when the date of the check is within one calendar year of the date of receipt by Collegium. A volunteer’s background checks are only valid in CCS’s files for 5 years from the date on the background check and must be updated upon request.
Volunteers are not employees of Collegium. As such, volunteers are not eligible for salary and benefits, nor are they covered under Collegium’s workers’ compensation insurance.
Questions about background checks or volunteering? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 610-903-6338.